Bill 14: Proof of language skills to obtain an ACS

Following changes to the Charter of the French Language, Section 88.0.18 of Bill 14, which states that “no Attestation of College Studies may be issued to a student who does not have sufficient knowledge of French to be able to interact, flourish within Québec society and participate in its development,” all students who begin a program of study leading to an Attestation of College Studies (ACS) on or after July 1, 2023, will have to comply with these new regulations.

If the language of instruction of the ACS is French, the student will be deemed to have the required level of French. These students will not have to demonstrate that they have a sufficient level of French.

On the other hand, if the program leading to an ACS is conducted in whole or in part in a language other than French, the regulations stipulate that it is the student’s responsibility to prove their level of oral and written French to their educational institution. Specifically, they must demonstrate that they have the following skill levels:

  • Level 7 for oral comprehension and understanding (Level B2)
  • Level 4 for written comprehension and understanding (Level A2)

You can consult the levels of the Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétence en français by clicking HERE.

The following tests are recognized by the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI) and are valid for the duration of the ACS:

  • Test de connaissance du français from France Éducation international: TCF-QUÉBEC / TCF CANADA / TCF
  • Test d’évaluation du français from the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie Paris Île-de-France (CCIP-IDF): TEF / TEFAQ for Québec / TEF CANADA
  • Diplôme d'études en langue française (DELF) from France Éducation International;
  • Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DALF) from France Éducation International.

Cégep Marie-Victorin is an accredited testing centre for the Test d'évaluation du français (TEF / TEFAQ / TEF CANADA)

Please get in touch with us if you would like to take a language test.

A person enrolled in an ACS program in English does not need to take one of the abovementioned exams to evaluate their level of competency in French if they fall into one of the following situations:

  • Is eligible to attend school in English in Québec.
  • Holds a Secondary School Diploma (SSD) or a Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS) issued by the Ministère de l’Éducation, Recréation et Sports for which the language of instruction was French.
  • Holds a Secondary School Diploma (SSD) issued by the Ministère de l’Éducation, Recréation et Sports for which the language of instruction was English and has passed the compulsory “French second-language” courses in their final year of high school.
  • Holds an ACS, issued by a Québec college, in a program for which the language of instruction for all courses was French.
  • Successfully completed a program of study in French in Québec leading to a Diploma of College Studies (DCS) or a university diploma.
  • Successfully completed a program of study in French outside of Québec leading to a diploma equivalent to a Diploma of College Studies (DCS) or a university diploma.
  • Completed at least three years of full-time secondary or post-secondary education in French in Canada.
  • Passed the Office québécois de la langue française exam for professional orders
  • Resides or has resided on an Indian reserve, in a settlement where an aboriginal community lives or on Category I or Category I-N lands within the meaning of the Act respecting the land regime in the James Bay and New Québec territories (Chapter R-13.1).

In the case of First Nations or Inuit people, proof of residence may be required if:

  • The person resided in a community as a minor.
  • The person resides in a community or resided there as an adult and has supporting documents in their name.

Further exemptions apply for those eligible for instruction in English. Check your eligibility HERE.

I take a self-assessment of my French skills

Start by assessing your level of French online with the Diagnostic Test for French.
Keep in mind that this test is not recognized by the government; it’s a self-assessment tool to help you determine what kind of language course you need.

I enroll in government francization courses

Cégep Marie-Victorin offers the Government of Québec’s free francization courses for people admitted to an ACS. The MIFI also runs online courses. You can check your eligibility HERE. These courses are designed to help you reach the level necessary to obtain your attestation.

Don’t forget! It’s your responsibility to demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge of French. Enrolling in a francization course can sometimes take a while. So don’t wait and plan ahead!

I learn on my own

1- Sign up for an online course.

Cégep Marie-Victorin offers online courses on the Le Formateur e-learning platform. Be sure to check it out!

2 - Make use of other great resources that will help you learn French. 

Here are a few: 

3 - I’m in Québec.

What’s the best way to learn a language? Practice it in the street, in stores and in public places. Immersing yourself in a language is the fastest way to master it!

Mission accomplished! You’ve reached the level of French you need to obtain your ACS? Félicitations! You must submit a copy of your attestation to Cégep Marie-Victorin’s Service de l’organisation scolaire office before your program end date in order to obtain your diploma.

Contact us

514-733-3232, ext. 4110

Consulter cette page en français